Welcome to the Clay County Historical Society Old Post Office Museum!
....construction of this Beaux-Arts building began May of 1911 and it was dedicated
for public use on February 15, 1913. Final construction cost was $56,723. James
Knox Taylor, established architect of this period, was Supervising Architect. This
majestic building is constructed with Vermont granite, Indiana limestone and Clay
How the Clay County Historical Society began......
The Clay County Historical Society began with the celebration of the Clay County
Centennial in 1925, when the downtown merchants displayed the many artifacts
in their store windows for the celebration. After the Centennial, a room in the Clay
County Courthouse on the 3rd floor (where the Prosecutor's office is) served as
a display room.
The Old Post Office becomes our Museum.......
Late in 1974 it was announced that Brazil would be obtaining a new U.S. Post Office,
to be built at the corner of Depot Street and National Avenue. With the future in
sight, members of the Historical Society, led by Robert T. Moore, wasted no time
inquiring as to what would become of the historic Brazil Post Office. In September
of 1977 a bid of $31,175.50 was accepted by the General Services Administration
from the Society. A campaign was launched to raise the money, which was made
successful by the support of the community. On February 6, 1978 the final payment
was made, and after some repairs to the building, Clay County's new museum was
dedicated in July of 1980.
A National Treasure!
Located on the original National Road (Old Hwy 40, now a "National Scenic Byway")
the building was nominated to the National Register of Historic Places in Indiana on
July of 1994 and placed on the National Register in September of 1994.